Thursday, January 28, 2010

C is For Cancer! :( :(

Cancer. The word scares most people. It scares me as well. Being diagnosed with cancer is not a very uncommon thing. 1 in every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, but that is not the only kind of cancer that is out there, though it only takes one type to change someones or many peoples life.

When I was 5 years old my father was diagnosed with cancer. Still today they don't no what kind of cancer he had, but they do know that he had a deadly tumor in his neck that was spreading,
quickly. My dad is...well lets just say he's old. I remember the day that he told us he had cancer. He called us into his office, he works at home. He had had this band aid on his neck for a couple weeks and I since I was five I really didn't care why. So we're in the office and he takes of his band aid and revealed this big ugly bump. He said that he was sick and that he would have to go away for awhile. One of us asked him why and he said because these people were going to make him better. Then all I really remember is going up to him and saying well it's good their going to make you feel better dady. I don't remember much after that.

There was a one in ten chance that my dad was going to survive and we didn't want to take our chances so he moved into this hospital in London. When my father had cancer I remember mostly the fact that my mom was very very worried and that we kept getting these flowers and fruit baskets. I didn't really understand that my father was really sick and may die any day and I don't think my mother had the heart to tell me because well I was five, so I never really understood it until a couple years latter. I remember one day going to the hospital to visit him. Everything was going fine, we were having a nice little chat and he got a stuffed animal that Carolyn and I were fighting over. Then BOOM, he started to bleed. I was really scared then and asked my mom why he was bleeding though I don't think she answered. We left after that and I didn't go and see him again for awhile, though my mom did.

My dad was very lucky to survive his cancer though his life has been very different ever since. He got a chunk of his neck taken out because that is where the tumor had been located. He lost all taste of food in his mouth for a long time. He did get some of it back but mostly all food is bland. His mouth is also dry all the time. He drinks soda water like it's his life line because it's the only thing that helps. Also everyday for a year he had to drive to London Ontario and back to go for a check up and his medication. I think that that was the worst part for my mom and us. Anyway, now his is almost back to normal and most of the time I never even think about the fact that he had cancer.

My dad is now a seven year survivor of cancer and is very healthily. He even goes running every day with our dog that we got right after he was cured.

Thank you to whoever cured him. Our family would have never been the same without him!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment