Tuesday, April 6, 2010

S is for Sports

What makes you happiest in life? Most people might find it difficult to answer that question because there are so many different options. To me there's no question about it. It has simply always been this and always will. Simple, one word, sports.

Sports are my life. Last school year I played five sports, though your really only supposed to play three. When I first feel in love with sports I was in grade three. When I was younger I always heard about how well my sister had done in her sports and I had this insane desire to try them myself and find out if I was good or not. I remember my first cross-country meet. When we got there it was raining so hard you could barely see outside the bus windows. I was so nervous, I felt like I was going to barf. When the rain finally ceased, they lined all the under ten girls up to the line. When we were running it started to rain again and it was unbelievably muddy. At the end of the race there was this big hill and it was covered in mud. Half the girls could barely make it up it without falling. I myself did fall but not going up it going down the other side. As I crossed the finish line I was exhausted. I was about to leave when they told me that I'd forgotten to collect my ribbon. I was so surprised that I almost ran away again to go tell my coach. I got a ninth place ribbon that day. It is pink and now hangs on my bulletin board in my room along with my other 13 ribbons that I have won in cross-country since.

I my favourite sports, if I had to choose would be basketball and track and field. I have only ever won one basketball game before and never won a ribbon in track and field before. I played on a real basketball team twice before. Once was last year. I was eleven and playing on a under 16 basketball team. We won one game that year and though I didn't get much playing time, I had lots of fun. I didn't score once but I did make it to the foul line to take to shots for being fouled well I tried to put I shot up. I was very proud of myself for that. This year I played on an under 14 team and was caption of it along with Haley. We didn't win any games that year but that's okay because we didn't have any grade eights on the team and we were playing against teams with very good grade eights. I have been doing track ever since grade three and I love it. My events are 15oo meters, 800 meters, 400 meters, and triple jump. My favourite event is 1500 meters because I love to run long distance. Last year at the last meet it was thirty degrees out by the end of the day and the last event they had was the 800 meters. I have never been more thirsty in my life. I couldn't produce saliva in my mouth. My mouth was like sand paper, and by the end I just about collapsed from dehydration. I drank my whole water bottle after that. Other then that I haven't had any bad experiences with track or basketball.

This track season I really hope I can do better. I've even been running outside of school. My goal is to win a ribbon. I also hope to win a basketball game next year. I'm going to two basketball camps this summer hoping to improve my game and make our team better. Can't wait until next year for basketball and next Wed for track, which is our first meet.

Life Lesson: Don't give up hope on something because your not good at it, because you may find out that in the long run you love it.

I commented on Erika's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment