Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Empathy Writing

“Dead. The word echoed through my ears, like someone’s yell echoed across a lake. They were gone and were never coming back I told myself. I would never see them, or hear their voice again. I wouldn’t be able to cope with this. It felt like that at any moment I might shatter into a million pieces and I new that when I did, nothing would be able to put me back together again.”

That is what I think a good example of empathy writing is. It is way better than just saying, “I am sad that they died.” The other one is powerful and most people can relate to this kind of agony. If they can’t the writing makes you feel like you can. I think one good way writers make their readers feel empathy is by making a character that everyone can relate to. So you want to create a realistic person. Someone who makes mistakes, and someone the reader can identify with is ideal. That is one way a writer can make their readers feel empathy.

Another way is to make your writing descriptive and powerful and captivating. It can’t be dull and boring. You have to really make the reader understand what your character is going through. Whether they are happy, sorrowful, disappointed, or infuriated. You have to make the reader understand the different levels of emotions your character has. That is an additional way you can make the reader feel empathy.

So again two different ways writers make readers feel empathy is to make a character that everyone can relate to and to have descriptive writing. I hope that one day I will be able to follow these to very important rules of making readers feel empathy and create a story that has some great empathy writing in it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laurel! This post is very powerful and really has a lot of meaning. I really like the example that you used for your first paragraph and I agree with you that is a great empathy example. Another thing I liked about this post is that you used a lot of different words instead of using the same word over and over again. Finally, I really liked your conclusion because it really sums up your post.
    Great job!!!:)

    ReplyDelete