Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wearing A Burqa

The other day I was walking through the streets and I feel again. I live in Afghanistan and it is the law that all women must wear a burqa. I hate the burqa. It gets in my way all the time, every day. Since the law was made that all women have to wear a burqa, I only leave my house on the odd occasion, because in the house I don't have to wear one. I only leave the house when I absolutely have to. I miss the days where I could walk the streets freely and not have to worry about being beaten for doing nothing except being on the street without a man.

At least that's what I would be thinking if I really was a woman who lived in Afghanistan and had to wear a burqa. I am actually very lucky, because I don’t have to wear a burqa. This would bother me because I would have to lead a life that meant I could never be seen. Which I guess had one advantages: you wouldn’t have to worry about your hair or your overall appearance.

It would make me angry, because I wouldn't be allowed to talk in public, which would be very difficult because I love to talk. Though most importantly I would hate it because I would not be aloud to leave the house without a man. It would be like having all your freedom taken away from you and being left under the total control of someone else. I would rather die than have that happen to me.

I would hate to say this, but if this happened to me, I wouldn’t be able to make the best of it. I wouldn’t be able to stand it, because I am so used to what my life is like now, where I can come and go as I please, I couldn’t imagine it any other way. I just wouldn’t be able to live like that, and I feel so bad for the women who have to live like that today. I hope one day I will be able to help them and change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment